Birth Doula Recertification
Birth Doula Active Status
Follow these steps to recertify as a DONA International birth doula with active status:
1. Maintain continuous membership in DONA International.
- Certified doulas must maintain continuous membership in DONA International.
- To verify that your membership is current, check the date that is printed in the upper right corner of your mailing label on the International Doula magazine.
- When applying for recertification, a certified doula whose membership has lapsed must pay reinstatement fees. Please see our Lapsed Membership Policy for details.
2. Attend a minimum of three births as a doula and complete the DONA Birth Verification Form. Required documentation for births:
- Birth Verification Form signed by mother or medical care provider.
- Evaluations (pdf) from three birth doula clients.
- Doulas are highly encouraged to complete and return the data collection sheet to the DONA International Data Collection Committee.
- Verify your attendance at the births by signing the DONA Application/Affidavit Form.
3. Obtain a minimum of 15 contact hours of continuing education approved by a recognized organization in a birth and/or parenting related field.
4. By recertification date, complete and submit the DONA International Application/Affidavit for Doula Recertification form, which verifies that you have met all recertification requirements and all necessary documentation.
5. Submit your recertification fee to the DONA Certification Committee.
Birth Recertification Forms