An organization with over 6,000 members in 50 countries always has a lot going on and DONA International is no different. Eighteen months after moving the Home Office to Chicago, DONA International released its first Annual Update to members last month. Much like an annual report, the Annual Update gives an overview of where the organization is and what has been accomplished recently. Here are some highlights:
New mission statement adopted earlier this year:
DONA International’s mission is to promote high quality birth and postpartum support by setting the standard for the doula profession through evidence-based training and certification for doulas of diverse backgrounds.
New strategic goals to guide the organization’s efforts:
1. Remain the premier organization world-wide for evidence-based doula training, certification and continuing education
2. Increase the use of doulas worldwide through the promotion and advancement of the doula profession
3. Build and maintain a sustainable foundation for DONA International members
4. Be a valued source of information on the benefits of doula care
More than 10,000 birth and postpartum doulas have achieved DONA International certification.
Updated brochures and position papers available in the DONA Boutique including “Dads, Partners & Doulas.”
About the new mission statement and the future direction of DONA International, Executive Director Cynthia Keillor said, “We exist to serve our members by providing education, resources, and promotion of the doula profession. We look forward to continuing to evolve and grow in our services to our member birth and postpartum support professionals just as they evolve and grow to support the families they serve.”
The full Annual Update can be found at: http://dona.org/PDF/Annual+Update_2014.pdf
– Adrianne Gordon, CD(DONA), MBA