Trainer Candidate Program
PLEASE NOTE: The DONA International Education Assessment Task Force and Board of Directors are currently evaluating the Trainer Candidate Application Process. During this time, we are not reviewing or accepting resume submissions. Please check back in May 2019 for further updates.
From among the 12,000 DONA Certified doulas since we started, DONA International has selected just over 165 of the most skilled, professional doulas in the world to serve as our DONA approved trainers.
The DONA International Trainer Candidacy Program is conducted by experienced DONA International Approved Doula Trainers who are experts in the field of Doula Support, Mentoring and Adult Education.
Applications to the Candidacy Program are accepted from qualified DONA International Certified Birth and Postpartum Doulas by need and invitation only. Invitation to apply for the program is not a guarantee of acceptance. You can submit a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DONA International reserves the right to select for its candidacy program, those applicants who, in its judgment, best represent DONA International’s Mission, Vision and Statement of Values. Individuals who are invited to apply for the candidacy program must uphold and abide by DONA International’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice and must meet or exceed all other requirements.
Acceptance to the candidacy program does NOT guarantee approval of the candidate’s curriculum or as a DONA International approved birth or postpartum doula trainer.
Minimum Candidate Qualifications
1. Proof of continuous and DONA certification and current membership (in good standing) with DONA International for two re-certification cycles (or 6 years).
2. Minimum number of births/families served:
Birth Doulas: Minimum of 100 births attended as birth doula, not as a nurse or midwife.
Postpartum Doulas: Minimum of 100 families served.
3. Proof of formal education/training (certificate) in childbirth education or adult education equivalent.
4. Proof of experience in adult education.
Birth Doulas: 120 hours teaching (at least 10 complete childbirth class series – minimum 12 hours per series.)
Postpartum Doulas: 10 complete childbirth preparation series totaling at least 60 classes and 120 hours to groups of 4 expectant parents minimum.)
5. Proof of volunteer experience (preferred but not required).
6. Signed memorandum of understanding.
7. Two successful interviews (Director of Education and trainer mentor from the education mentor council).